Saturday, June 23, 2007

Solstice in Maine





I've been down in New Haven meeting with yarn reps to select new fall yarns. It can be intoxicating, looking at and feeling all that yarn. As one of our customers said, "I haven't met a yarn I didn't like!" I know what she means. But now I am back home in Maine. Just in time for the Solstice. I think dawn comes early here in the Pine Tree State. The birds start singing about 4:30 or 5am. If I just ignore the clock, getting up seems natural. But there is something ungodly about getting out of bed this early. Who would choose to get up at this time? Maybe if I had to, to get to the airport or get ready to work the dawn shift somewhere. But, hey, this is Maine and it is gorgeous. So I'm up, and making coffee or knitting, or reading, or checking out the garden. Here is a picture of some of the flowers outside my front door. Peonies have always been one of my favorites. And this fuchsia is luscious.






Here is the Michael Kors sweater from Vogue Knitting Summer 2007 in Noro's Cash Iroha from KFI. Finished! I love it. It hits just below the hip and is slightly oversized. The open raglan sleeve is very flattering. It is a great summer sweater to take along to lunch or dinner in case the AC is cranked up to freezing.



I wish hubby had gotten a little more of the sweater and a little less of me in the photo. But.... I'm grateful for this. Anyway, you get the idea. It's a great piece. What do you think?



Lupines are a beautiful purple flower that seem to grown wild by the roadside here in Maine.
I'm working on a pair of socks using Regia Bamboo Color sock yarn in a pattern called "Lupine Lace" by Evelyn Clark. I love how the pattern looks like little flowers twining up a stem in the sock. The repeat is really quite simple. I memorized it as I was knitting. I know it's a little hard to see in this image. Take a look at this terrific sock yarn in our downtown store. Or join us knitting at our "Make Socks Not War" sock camp this summer. You'll be wearing your own "Lupine Lace" socks in no time. Check it out on our website at http://www.yarnllc.com/ or come see us. Now...I just have to knit that second sock!

1 comment:

kristinfield said...

Hi Toni! It's Kristin - cannot believe that it has been so long since I was spending time with you and Linda at Yarn. I've been to Japan and back, a few times, and I'm settled in southern California. Just stumbled upon your blog.

Hope that this finds you well. I love the Michael Kors sweater. When I saw it in the magazine, I knew that it was something you'd be drawn to. Must be just luscious in Cash Iroha!